The most romantic city in Italy and definitely one of the most beautiful is Verona. This city is a top destination for many travelers visiting the country. Thanks to William Shakespeare, by setting “Romeo and Juliet” in the city, Verona became forever the city of lovers. And, for this reason, no visit to Verona is complete without a stop by the famous Juliet’s balcony… but before you visit this romantic spot, let us give you a couple of hints:
1. The city of Verona bought this house from the Cappello family in 1905. Thanks to the similarity of their surname to Juliet’s in the play, the city declared that it was, in fact, Juliet’s house so it became a famous attraction. But the truth is that she never lived there…Nonetheless…
2. The house does date from the 14th century and it’s a beautiful example of Gothic architecture.
3. You can see the balcony where in the play Juliet stood as Romeo serenaded her. That balcony isn’t an original feature of the house; it was attached to the wall to make it appear like the Juliet’s house in the play.
4. There is a statue of Juliet in the courtyard of the house and it is said that if you touch its right breast, it will bring you luck in finding your own true love.
5. It is also said that if you leave a declaration of your love at Juliet’s house, you will be together forever. Therefore, love notes cover the courtyard walls.
6. Juliet’s secretaries are a team of volunteers that answer the letters that lovers from all over the world write to Juliet asking for advices.
7. The rooms in the house are decorated with pieces from the time of Romeo and Juliet, so that visitors can have the feeling of how life was in that period.
Every year Juliet’s House welcomes thousands of visitors looking for a romantic getaway. So, to keep the feel of romance and elegance that this beautiful city emanates, make sure to stay at Palazzo Victoria to build unforgettable memories of your stay… in the city of lovers.